Pages

1.06.2007

ER - Some Final campaign observations

Some evidence of the Sazlman/Riggs/Local Solutions machinations:

Some Final campaign observations
by RICHARD MARKS, 6/21/2006

Early this year my wife Robin and I were discussing the 4th District supervisor race.

The incumbent, Bonnie Neely, was running against former Eureka Mayor Nancy Flemming — two Republicans in an area full of Democrats. I tried to convince Robin to run; I would manage the campaign. Robin declined, but said she would be supportive if I ran. I realized it was nonpartisan race, but with the overwhelming registration advantage toward the Democrats, and me being a lifelong Democrat, I had a chance to be a spoiler.

I filed my paperwork in a timely manner. I asked one labor leader to sign my petition to be put on the ballot. Patrick Riggs, the chairperson of the Humboldt County Democratic Central Committee, was one of the first I e-mailed. Local Solutions knew my intentions to run before I finalized my paperwork. They chose to ignore me. Instead of informing me of my situation, they decided to attack my campaign with rumors and misinformation. It worked. They had made their alliance with Bonnie Neely well in advance. We came up a few hundred votes short of a runoff.

My (mistake). I thought everyone had the right to run for public office. If another Democratic candidate were running, I would not have stepped forward. I had no idea that the Humboldt County Democratic Central Committee, which I had once been a member (1995-99), had become an exclusive political action committee.

It is disappointing to me that a pro-union, pro-labor (32-year union member) successful union organizer, progressive Democrat, youth volunteer, adult sports director and lifelong resident of the North Coast would be vilified by fellow Democrats. It starts at the local level, people. Or you end up with Republican leaders as president and governor.

I was raised by a Democratic single-parent mother who raised us on union dollars as a retail clerk at the old Bazar store. My male role models in Myrtletown were die-hard working-class Democrats, and I carried their beliefs when I registered as a Democrat in 1975. I am sure they are all ashamed at what has happened to our local Democratic party.

On a positive note, during this campaign I met many outstanding people whom I will cherish for the rest of my life. Many thanks to campaign co-chairs Shane Brinton and Richard Mostranski for their hard work and dedication. We ran this campaign with honesty and integrity with a group of every-day people who believe in the political system.

I want to thank the Marks for Supervisor Committee and all who phone-banked, fundraised or door-knocked, Mary Marks, Elizabeth Webb, Brian and Dusty Downing, Ron denHeyer, Michelle and Xochitl Fregoso, Matt Socha, Chad Odom, Les Rastorfer, Perry Price, Frank Rojas, Tammy Weatherbee, Noreen O’Brien, Susan Brinton, Nick and Sharon Mitchell, Steve and Diane Harris and all others who contributed monetarily, gave encouragement or lent the space on their lawn for a sign.

And thanks to my co-workers who put up with me. (No move up this time guys!) A special thanks to my wife Robin for all she put up with.

Oh yes, that endorsement thing. Both candidates say they share my core beliefs. I am not so sure about that, so I have invited both to a public debate mediated by myself to ask questions that were not brought up during the campaign, but which I feel are pertinent to the Humboldt County working class. It will be held at the Samoa Cookhouse on June 29 at noon. The public and media are welcome. The public is requested to buy a meal. Hope to see you there!

(Richard Marks is a former 4th District supervisorial candidate and a Samoa resident.)
Copyright (C) 2005, The Eureka Reporter. All rights reserved.

Local Solutions related stories:
Salzman's Empire The Local Solutions sham
No connection?
It's in the Headers
Local Solutions' 460 Campaign Statements
Any doubt what Local Solutions' agenda is?
What happened to Local Solutions?
Where is "Local Solutions"?
TS - Local Solutions by Michael Twombly
ER - Another local group decries toxins and big boxes

No comments: