Pages

3.08.2007

ER - Two deputies leave DA's Office

Two deputies leave DA's Office
by Christine Bensen-Messinger, 3/8/2007

After spending a collective time of a little more than five and a half years at the Humboldt County District Attorney’s Office, Deputies Zach Bird and Jose Mendez are both leaving the office and the District Attorney Paul Gallegos is looking to fill their two positions.

Bird, who has worked in the Humboldt County DA’s Office since December 2002, has been hired by the Sacramento District Attorney’s Office.

Mendez, who has worked in the Humboldt County DA’s Office since January 2005, has been hired by the Stanislaus County District Attorney’s Office in Modesto.

Today is the last day for both men, who said they have enjoyed their time in Humboldt County and are looking forward to moving on.

“Though I feel that I’ve gained some great experience and important rewards (during) my time in Humboldt County, I am looking forward to the opportunities and experiences I believe await me in Modesto,” Mendez said. “I am also happy about being closer to family and an increase in salary.”

Bird echoed Mendez’s sentiments and said he and his wife, who recently graduated with a master’s degree in economics, think it will be a good move for them.

“It’s a lot closer to her family. There are a lot more opportunities down there,” he said. “(And) we are looking forward to being closer to a city.”

Bird said he has enjoyed his time in Humboldt County and learned a lot.

“It was a really good experience and I enjoyed working with law enforcement and the people in the office,” he said. “I’ve taken a lot from this position; being in a smaller office certainly afforded me the ability to do a lot more cases. I think (this move) will be a step up for my career as a prosecutor.”

Mendez said he is also grateful for his time in Humboldt County.

“I am proud of the strong friendships I’ve formed with my colleague Jeffrey Schwartz and former colleague Amanda Penny,” he said. “I am also grateful to Paul Gallegos for having given me the opportunity to begin my legal career here.”

He added that he is thankful to former Deputy District Attorney Worth Dikeman, former Assistant District Attorney Tim Stoen and Assistant District Attorney Wes Keat for being “wonderful criminal attorney role models.”

Gallegos said he is sad to see both men leave.

“They will be missed,” he said in an e-mail to The Eureka Reporter. “Zach came into the office a little before me, so I have seen him grow into a fine prosecutor. I am happy for Sacramento and sad for us. However, I certainly understand his wife’s desire to be closer to family. Making more money helps, too. Jose will be missed, too. He is a dedicated prosecutor and a heck of an assistant soccer coach. I appreciate how, with much of his family serving overseas, he feels the need to be closer to home. I wish him and them well.”

Mendez said he has enjoyed living in Humboldt County.

“Ultimately, I do regret leaving behind a few friends, and I will recommend to anyone willing to listen to visit Humboldt County,” he said.

Copyright (C) 2005, The Eureka Reporter. All rights reserved.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Paul!