3.07.2010

TS - Paul Gallegos seeks third term; incumbent Humboldt District Attorney announces bid at campaign headquarters

Paul Gallegos seeks third term; incumbent Humboldt District Attorney announces bid at campaign headquarters

With dozens of supporters standing behind him, Humboldt County District Attorney Paul Gallegos announced his campaign seeking re-election Friday, pledging to continue making the difficult decisions and serving all the county's residents.

”We have never backed down, and we never will, because while a ship in harbor is safe, that's not what ships are for,” Gallegos said at the event Friday, held at his campaign headquarters at 321 Third St. in Eureka.

Gallegos, who was first elected to the office in 2002, is seeking his third term as Humboldt County's top law enforcement official, facing challenges from Allison Jackson, Paul Hagen and Kathleen Bryson, all of whom have announced their intention to run for the office.

Humboldt County District Attorney's Office Investigator Wayne Cox spoke at the event, saying he was hired on with the office in 2007, and was refreshed by Gallegos' can-do attitude and the open minded way he approached the job.

”As a tight-knit team, the District Attorney's Office has accomplished great things, including the cases against Paul Jasnosz, Andy Belant, Dave Gundersen and Steve Hash, some of the most vicious and heartless predators in our community,” Cox said.

“Because of Paul's direction and leadership, they are now being held accountable for their actions, as are countless other felons that have been convicted during Paul's tenure as district attorney.”

Former California Assemblywoman Patty Berg introduced Gallegos at the event, calling him a dear friend, and said he has been effective and courageous in bringing his office into the 21st century.

”Paul believes that it's his job to stand up for all the people of Humboldt County, and I so appreciate that,” Berg said, adding that when Gundersen, the former Blue Lake police chief, was arrested, Paul took it upon himself to try the case. “By appearing in the courtroom, Paul leads his office from the front, not from behind. He leads by example.”

Local defense attorney Peter Martin made similar comments.

”I'm impressed that he does handle high-profile cases himself -- there's always some political risk in that,” Martin said, adding that he wasn't always a Gallegos fan.

Having spent 10 years as a deputy district attorney working under Gallegos predecessor, Terry Farmer, Martin said he was “obviously not a supporter” early in Gallegos' tenure in the DA's office. But, over time, Martin said he worked with Gallegos on several cases and walked away impressed.

Keith Taylor, of the Center for Indian Law & Economic Justice, said he's supporting Gallegos partly because of his work with local tribes. For the last two years, Taylor said Gallegos has been holding monthly roundtable discussions with tribal leaders to discuss law and order and sovereignty issues.

After taking the podium at the event, Gallegos spent the first half of his remarks thanking his staff.

”They are truly a dedicated group of hardworking people who every day come early and leave late,” he said. “It is a pleasure to work with them.”

Then, Gallegos lauded his accomplishments in re-inventing the DA's office into a modern-day law office that represents all the people of Humboldt County. Asking the people of Humboldt County to again check his name on the ballot, Gallegos said he will continue working to rid the county of what Mahatma Gandhi deemed the seven deadly sins: “Wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, religion without sacrifice, and politics without principle.”

The Gallegos campaign will hold an open house during tonight's Arts Alive. For more information on the campaign, visit www.votepaul.org.

Thadeus Greenson can be reached at 441-0509 or tgreenson@times-standard.com.

Read all 54 comments »
http://www.topix.net/forum/source/eureka-times-standard/TMDB4PTIABTSO0L4G
Comments
Showing posts 1 - 20 of54< prev page|next page >Go to last post| Jump to page:
Dumbbroad
Dave Gundersen- what a lame excuse of a case to use as an example. What about a list of all the pleas this freak has taken and everyone he has let walk.

reader
"We have never backed down, and we never will, because while a ship in harbor is safe, that's not what ships are for,"

Wow.

Deep.

Really deep.

He must have thought up that profound thought while counting waves on sick leave from the office.

That there are actually people who would publicly support Gallegos after all of the horrible lapses in poor judgement prosecuting, no, persecuting people for all the wrong reasons wasting valuable public resources over the his last term, well, that says an awfull lot about Humboldt County.

Maybe you'll pleas bargain the 26 year old soccer coach.

I'll bet a lot of your supporters are saying to themselves,'There by the grace of God go I.' Both male and female BTW.

I miss you Worth.

Now more than ever.

Stubbs
Gallegos couldn't even win the Rex Shin murder trial. They were neck deep out there in a marijuana grow, doing meth, morphine, and cheating on each other's wives. The DA made a immunity deal to find and dig up the decomposed body of Rex Shin. A Sheriff even chased down and caught the suspect Sequoia on foot in Eureka and found the .357 magnum revolver murder weapon that he used to shoot Shin in the head with, hidden on him. Still no conviction. For a DA that gets off on digging up the dirt and setting up murder trials, he sure has a hard time winning them.

Stubbs
If you want to be part of a Black Market Marijuana industry that is full of a bunch of greedy lying stealing cheating addicted alcoholic neo-hippie medicine growers, getting killed over it is a very real risk you take.

Stubbs
"Humboldt County District Attorney's Office Investigator Wayne Cox spoke at the event, saying
”As a tight-knit team, the District Attorney's Office has accomplished great things, including the cases against Paul Jasnosz, Andy Belant, Dave Gundersen and Steve Hash, some of the most vicious and heartless predators in our community,” Cox said.“Because of Paul's direction and leadership, they are now being held accountable for their actions, as are countless other felons that have been convicted during Paul's tenure as district attorney.” "

So what was it that was accomplished with the Dave Gunderson trial other than his mother paying Russ Clanton roughly $300 grand for his legal defense? Poor old woman. And how is Gunderson doing after his brain tumor operation?

ashamed
No convictions,only plea bargains, but so much public support for him, WHY????

Pot City
this is where you vote NO

Stubbs
"Then, Gallegos lauded his accomplishments in re-inventing the DA's office into a modern-day law office that represents all the people of Humboldt County. Asking the people of Humboldt County to again check his name on the ballot, Gallegos said he will continue working to rid the county of what Mahatma Gandhi deemed the seven deadly sins:“Wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, religion without sacrifice, and politics without principle.” "
http://www.times-standard.com/localnews/ci_14...
----------
The Early Life Of Jim Jones
----------
"Jones was a voracious reader as a child and studied Joseph Stalin, Karl Marx, "Mahatma Gandhi" and Adolf Hitler carefully,[7] noting each of their strengths and weaknesses.[7]"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Jones

Well hey, at least this time Gallegos quoted the author unlike his op-ed on Vigilanteism where he plagiarized someone else's book.

reader
Let me try to understand this.
A 40-something high school teacher has sex with a 17 year old student.
And Gallegos can't get a first round conviction?
Now a 26 year old man is being accused of attempting to engage in a relationship with a girl under 15 years of age.
Good luck for justice to be served.

reader
ashamed wrote:
No convictions,only plea bargains, but so much public support for him, WHY????
Gallegos's backers know they can act without impunity.

Kris
Who is running against him? That's who I am voting for. This county needs a DA that actually does his job.

fun time
DO NOT REELECT this pot happy, slap on the wrist, worthless legal schmuck.

Kick him out!

If he's reelected then you have only yourselves to blame if you did not/are not registered and actually go and vote him out.

Also remember to do the same for all city and county boards, etc.
It's time to clean house.

JTC
ashamed wrote:
No convictions,only plea bargains, but so much public support for him, WHY????
why? because we are faced with a bunch of close minded people like you, who just hate this guy because you think he supports pot, is not from the "good ol boy club" and it so easy to see all of you use Fear, in an attempt to prove you point. its like you are making this election about "redneck" vs "surfer hippie type".....paul has **** off many hippies, as they think he has become to conservative, then you tea bagger types, just attack, attack and then more attack, at times i wish most of you would move to Texas, where i think your political views are shared. this is a modern society, we are evolving, and hopefully one day, ya'll will either see the light, or move to Texas. i would prefer the latter....

Fred Mangels
“Fred's Humboldt Blog”
Vote for anyone but Gallegos!

hmmm
At least I see our community is smarter than Paul...

Paul thanks for turning our community into a drug infested crime ridden community. every other house in my community is a grow house thanks to you. It seems that homicides, stabbings, home invasions, and other serious crimes have exploded under your tenure. Great job.

Stubbs
JTC wrote:

at times i wish most of you would move to Texas, where i think your political views are shared. this is a modern society, we are evolving, and hopefully one day, ya'll will either see the light, or move to Texas. i would prefer the latter....
Speaking of "moving", didn't Gallegos only move to Humboldt 8 years ago from San Diego where he got his law degree?

reader
JTC wrote:

why? because we are faced with a bunch of close minded people like you, who just hate this guy because you think he supports pot, is not from the "good ol boy club" and it so easy to see all of you use Fear, in an attempt to prove you point. its like you are making this election about "redneck" vs "surfer hippie type".....paul has **** off many hippies, as they think he has become to conservative, then you tea bagger types, just attack, attack and then more attack, at times i wish most of you would move to Texas, where i think your political views are shared. this is a modern society, we are evolving, and hopefully one day, ya'll will either see the light, or move to Texas. i would prefer the latter....

You lost me at tea bagger. Most people in Humboldt County that are educated professionals are actually quite open minded. You are either new or of a naive age where you have no concept of how the DA's office was managed/run/led by Terry Farmer. He had the best and the brightest serving a prosecuters under him.

Gallegos does not have one competent criminal prosecutor amongst his rank and file.

There a reason why and if you can't see or undertand the why then it's obvious why you are a Gallegos supporter.

Rooster
He has had more than enough time to prove he can do the job. Instead he has proven to be a horrible manager. Cases are back logged, statuing out because no one is filing them in a timely manner, plea bargained out just to get a conviction. There is no mentoring the junior district attorneys who try hard, but do not know what they are doing. Its time for a change before more victims get victimized again. There has been many high profile cases bungled, tax payer dollars wasted.

JTC
reader wrote:

You lost me at tea bagger. Most people in Humboldt County that are educated professionals are actually quite open minded. You are either new or of a naive age where you have no concept of how the DA's office was managed/run/led by Terry Farmer. He had the best and the brightest serving a prosecuters under him.

Gallegos does not have one competent criminal prosecutor amongst his rank and file.

There a reason why and if you can't see or undertand the why then it's obvious why you are a Gallegos supporter.

farmer had years to put that staff together, Gallegos, had so many enemies, the moment he defeated farmer, thus an uphill climb is what he has been doing, and doing well since taking over. most of the comments you and your type have been posting here, was said, many, many years ago..either you are too old to remember, thus suffering from dementia, or you are too closed minded to even be realistic. my age has nothing to do with my opinion, i prefer Gallegos's political slant and insight. i think its called "progressive, which im sure you will reword as "socialist". america is evolving, and DA's like Gallegos, and our present state DA Brown, are part of that movement, like i said before, get on board, or move to Texas, where you wont be messed with.

JTC
hmmm wrote:
At least I see our community is smarter than Paul...

Paul thanks for turning our community into a drug infested crime ridden community. every other house in my community is a grow house thanks to you. It seems that homicides, stabbings, home invasions, and other serious crimes have exploded under your tenure. Great job.

...mmmmm..funny i remember 10 years ago, and how many Meth Houses were in eureka..that has decreased dramatically under Gallegos...im vey thankful for that act. and to state that every other house is a grow house, is a stretch don't you think? but again, Fear is in this year, and most of your political leaning type enjoy the Fear Approach to pressure the American Public to lean toward your point of view. shame on you, you are helping to destroy what civility is left in our Political Process.

Comments (Page 2)
Showing posts 21 - 40 of 54

anonymous
STUBBS said:"If you want to be part of a Black Market Marijuana industry that is full of a bunch of greedy lying stealing cheating addicted alcoholic neo-hippie medicine growers,......."

You are mistaken........those people are supporting the OTHER Paul.....Paul Hagen. Do your homework......Local Solutions is bankrolling Hagen

Frank Rizzo
"We have never backed down, and we never will, because while a ship in harbor is safe, that's not what ships are for," Gallegos said at the event Friday.

Gallegos for DA? This guy is a drooler.

And Peter Martin? He can't even spell attorney!

Wayne Cox, you should be ashamed of yourself.

fun time
JTC wrote:
farmer had years to put that staff together, Gallegos, had so many enemies, the moment he defeated farmer, thus an uphill climb is what he has been doing, and doing well since taking over. most of the comments you and your type have been posting here, was said, many, many years ago..either you are too old to remember, thus suffering from dementia, or you are too closed minded to even be realistic. my age has nothing to do with my opinion, i prefer Gallegos's political slant and insight. i think its called "progressive, which im sure you will reword as "socialist". america is evolving, and DA's like Gallegos, and our present state DA Brown, are part of that movement, like i said before, get on board, or move to Texas, where you wont be messed with.

And your friendly make a deal idiot (probably because he's to lazy or not a very good lawyer) has had 8 yrs to do it right.
That's enough time and he has failed in many areas.

It's your right to support him for whatever reasons you and some others have. It's our right to do what we need to do, vote him out! We have many reasons also.

Once a DA supporter
If the Gunderson case is an example of Gallegos' ability as a leader, this county is in great trouble. Gallegos mishandled this case from the start. He let Darcie Seal-Gunderson walk when she committed more serious crimes than her husband. Why did he not prosecute her for her crimes when she reneged on the "Plea Bargain" she was given for testifying against her husband for trumped up charges she accused him of? When she admitted on the stand that she was and had committed perjury why wasn't she then charged for her crimes since she broke the "plea Bargain"? She played Gallegos and the DA Office like a pro. The only victim in that whole case was the tax payers who had to flip the bill for a expensive political ploy...So Mr. Cox is this the "direction and leadership" your boss offers? This is only a few problems with the Gunderson case and only one of many questionable decisions that Gallegos has made regarding cases, not for the people, but for Gallegos' political career.

Just a Thought
"..mmmmm..funny i remember 10 years ago, and how many Meth Houses were in eureka..that has decreased dramatically under Gallegos.."

Wow! What color is the sky in your world?

JTC
Just a Thought wrote:
"..mmmmm..funny i remember 10 years ago, and how many Meth Houses were in eureka..that has decreased dramatically under Gallegos.."

Wow! What color is the sky in your world?

the sky reflects all the color around, and in your case i bet the sky is Red, to match your Neck....there are less Meth houses and cookers in eureka than there were 10 years ago, as much as i thought farmer did a decent job while in office, the speed was so out of control, tell me you cant remember the North Jetty years ago? tell me you cant remember all the slums in eureka years ago? Paul made Meth Dealers and users, a top priority, and it worked. go smoke some herb, and chill

Seen too much
I am a progressive. I would like to see marijuana legalized and taxed. I believe in universal health care. And I think that the Gallegos DA's office is a shambles, a place with a horrible turnover rate, a lack of organization, an unwillingness to play hardball even when they hold all the cards. To me this isn't about politics, it's about the ability to prosecute criminals appropriately, and Gallegos has proved over the course of eight years that he's not very good at it. We deserve better.

Also consider how Paul Hagen lost his position as the three-county environmental prosecutor. In the 2006 election the Humboldt Dem party endorsed Gallegos without having open discussion on the topic. Hagen, active in the party, objected - not to the Gallegos endorsement, but to the lack of discussion. Shortly thereafter he was fired by Gallegos, and there is now a non-disclosure agreement on the matter, leading me to suspect that Hagen received some sort of compensation for being wrogngly let go. This is how Gallegos operates.

I'm leaning towards Alison Jackson at this point, but none of the candidates thrill me. Gallegos got my vote in 2002, and has betrayed that confidence.

JMH
hmmm wrote:
At least I see our community is smarter than Paul...
Paul thanks for turning our community into a drug infested crime ridden community. every other house in my community is a grow house thanks to you. It seems that homicides, stabbings, home invasions, and other serious crimes have exploded under your tenure. Great job.

I think you should thank the people of California and the Supreme Court for upholding the Compassionate Use Act (215). All any DA can do is uphold the laws that are written, they are not write laws. If you want Humboldt County to be less pot friendly take it up with you City, County, and State representatives. Or you could go and tell the Supreme Court that they were wrong when it ruled that all limits on cultivation were unlawful. Stop blaming Gallegos for every little thing that you see is wrong with Humboldt County. There is no DA (running or not) that could legally, legitimatley, and without wasting massive amounts of tax payer dollars "fix" the grow house problem in Humboldt County.

Rooster
Homicides are up, drug abuse and MJ grow houses are up,armed robberies are up, read the TS. What about the animal cruelty cases that have been dealt out to nothing? The horse abuse case? the list goes on! Its time for a change, he had his chance.

Are you even kidding me
JTC, have you ever worked in the D.A's office? Know anyone who does? If not, then you are sadly misinformed. If so, you're being misled. Gallegos is a master of smoke and mirrors. He and his camp skew statistics and engage in vagueries the general public would never be able to know enough about to dispute. They count on the voting public being a bunch of rubes who will just swallow what they say without question. Now Gallegos has some of his staff involved who, by the way, are groveling at his feet. Why are they paying political homage? Because they want to be next in line if Chief Investigator Mike Hislop is elected Sheriff.

As for all the meth houses, Gallegos didn't have the slightest thing to do with that. You can thank our men and women in law enforcement for taking care of that problem. The position of D.A. is that of an ADMINISTRATOR, not a trial lawyer. You don't see other department heads doing the work their rank-and-file is paid to do. That's because those department heads are busy managing their offices. That's what Paul should be doing but he's more interested in grand-standing.
Vote for Allison Jackson. At least then the Humboldt County D.A's office won't be owned by the local defense bar.

Skippy56
I would be more interested in how the DA's office worked with local law enforcement regarding smaller crimes committed, for do no the small things often lead to bigger things?

All law enforcement are struggling with budgets and it seems that placing more effort into preventive programs with the involvement of the DA's office would strengthen programs needed for various communities.

I just moved to a new neighborhood was was warned by the Postal Worker that he would not leave packages I received at my doorstep. It stating that the neighborhood was not the greatest to live in and a new mailbox system is needed to protect deliveries of medicines and other supplies. This says to me that there is a need for a better cooperation between law enforcement from the local police to the DA and the neighbors living in the area.

Well, Gallegoes, you have any thoughts about my suggestion?

Unbelievable
Why would he even mention the Dave Gundersen/Darcie Seal case?! Darcie Seal played Gallegos big time to keep herself from going to prison. She admitted to trading guns from the Blue Lake evidence locker to her ex-brother-in-law Carl Patton for drugs. He used one of those guns in an attempted murder of his girlfriend and got a plea bargain for giving up Darcie. Darcie also admitted to having her minor son buy drugs for her. She admitted to trading grow equipment from the evidence locker to her ex-brother-in-law to set up a grow in one of her rentals. Darcie admitted to taking drugs. The whole rape thing was just a ploy to keep her out of prison. She had been a member of the rape panel in Eureka that consists of local female cops from different departments. She did research on "cop domestic violence" before crying rape.(computer forensics showed this) Plus....Gundersen wasn't the first man she's accused of raping her. Darcie loves "role playing". Obviously Gallegos was too excited about getting another chance to bring down yet another police chief since he'd already blown getting the EPD Chief to really look into Darcie's past. He told her that if she lied the plea deal was off but when she admitted to perjury he never charged her with anything. Yes, Darcie is really proud of the fact that she was able to pull this off with no charges filed against her.

And as for the Huntszinger case? Dave and Darcie lied to poor Nancy for years while all the evidence to solve the case sat in the lunchroom untouched.

Gallegos seems to only want to handle high profile cases that he thinks will bring him fame. So far all I've seen him do is plea bargain his cases down to nothing. SOFT on crime describes him alright.

anonymous
I moved away from Humboldt County for years and just recently moved back. Since I have been back, I have been disgusted at how criminal after criminal is given a slap on the wrist or cases that are slam dunk aren't filed on because nobody wants to take anything to trial. The great area that I loved growing up in has turned into a filthy and run down dump that I'm ashamed to have people visit. Maybe Paul Gallegos isn't the whole problem but he sure hasn't been part of the solution. I don't know but I'm not giving him more time to find his way....I think 8 years is plenty.

Once a DA supporter
Skippy 56 wrote "I would be more interested in how the DA's office worked with local law enforcement regarding smaller crimes committed, for do no the small things often lead to bigger things?" The answer to that is the DA's Office does not work well with other law enforcement. Gallegos stated early on that he wanted to distance his office from the local law enforcement and he has.

The strength of the cases start with the law enforcement agencies. They are the originating investigators. They supply the DA Office with the facts and evidence so they can decide if there is enough evidence to support charges. If you have a DA Office that does not work well with the local law enforcement and work with the officers in the field, that co operation fails. Prior to Gallegos taking office local agencies received reports from the DA Office informing the agency when and if the case was filed. If it wasn't filed they were told why. Sometimes this information could be obtained by the officers investigating the crime and they could go out and obtain it to move the case forward. When Gallegos took office this practice ended. It was then left up to the officer to follow up with several phone calls to find out why cases weren't filed. Many cases were dismissed due to missing statements or information that would be easy to get. But instead the case was dismissed with no information leaving everyone but the criminal frustrated. Minor crimes are just that, minor crimes, unless you are the victim. At least give an explanation why you won't "waste the time" to prosecute so the victim understands why. It'll help them understand rather than feel unimportant and used.

You can work with local law enforcement and still maintain control over them if you are respectful of the public and not afraid to explain your decisions.

Back On Earth
How many felony cases has Gallegos' opponents tried in court?

All these personal attacks are ludicrous, only the Gunderson and Rex Shin cases are referenced above as possibly being mishandled, but were ANY of his cases OFFICIALLY found to be mishandled after over a decade in office!!??

These complaints are bitter, personal, and probably posted by 3 or 4 people.

Gallegos will win FOR THE FOURTH TIME! He proved his courage after being the first in Humboldt County to hold Big Timber and police officials to equal justice.

The Real Bubba Joe
Unbelievable!
This guy has a lot of nerve.
The only people who will vote for him are pot growers.
What will he do when it is legalized and the fact that he won't prosecute them is irrelevant?
You growers are so progressive.
Selling your souls out to a guy who worships the ground that child murderers walk on.
You got cyanide for your kids yet?

The Real Bubba Joe
Back On Earth wrote: How many felony cases has Gallegos' opponents tried in court?
All these personal attacks are ludicrous, only the Gunderson and Rex Shin cases are referenced above as possibly being mishandled, but were ANY of his cases OFFICIALLY found to be mishandled after over a decade in office!!??

These complaints are bitter, personal, and probably posted by 3 or 4 people.

Gallegos will win FOR THE FOURTH TIME! He proved his courage after being the first in Humboldt County to hold Big Timber and police officials to equal justice.

So you love the fact that PG's best friend killed his own 6 year old son?

The Real Bubba Joe
anonymous wrote:
I moved away from Humboldt County for years and just recently moved back. Since I have been back, I have been disgusted at how criminal after criminal is given a slap on the wrist or cases that are slam dunk aren't filed on because nobody wants to take anything to trial. The great area that I loved growing up in has turned into a filthy and run down dump that I'm ashamed to have people visit. Maybe Paul Gallegos isn't the whole problem but he sure hasn't been part of the solution. I don't know but I'm not giving him more time to find his way....I think 8 years is plenty.

Then why did you vote for the child murder's best friend in the first place?

The Real Bubba Joe
murderer's

reader
It sure didn't take long for the comments to be shut down on the Arcata High School girls assistant basketball coach's arrest.

He certainly wasn't deterred by the Peterson case from Fortuna.

Comments (Page 3)
Showing posts 41 - 54 of 54

reader
Unbelievable wrote: Why would he even mention the Dave Gundersen/Darcie Seal case?! Darcie Seal played Gallegos big time to keep herself from going to prison. She admitted to trading guns from the Blue Lake evidence locker to her ex-brother-in-law Carl Patton for drugs. He used one of those guns in an attempted murder of his girlfriend and got a plea bargain for giving up Darcie. Darcie also admitted to having her minor son buy drugs for her. She admitted to trading grow equipment from the evidence locker to her ex-brother-in-law to set up a grow in one of her rentals. Darcie admitted to taking drugs. The whole rape thing was just a ploy to keep her out of prison. She had been a member of the rape panel in Eureka that consists of local female cops from different departments. She did research on "cop domestic violence" before crying rape.(computer forensics showed this) Plus....Gundersen wasn't the first man she's accused of raping her. Darcie loves "role playing". Obviously Gallegos was too excited about getting another chance to bring down yet another police chief since he'd already blown getting the EPD Chief to really look into Darcie's past. He told her that if she lied the plea deal was off but when she admitted to perjury he never charged her with anything. Yes, Darcie is really proud of the fact that she was able to pull this off with no charges filed against her.

And as for the Huntszinger case? Dave and Darcie lied to poor Nancy for years while all the evidence to solve the case sat in the lunchroom untouched.

Gallegos seems to only want to handle high profile cases that he thinks will bring him fame. So far all I've seen him do is plea bargain his cases down to nothing. SOFT on crime describes him alright.

This is why these comment threads on the internet will eventually bring down the corruption in government.

Now if I could just say something at this time about the County of Humboldt Child Support Division.

The only problem? In Humboldt County nobody cares.

reader
"Former California Assemblywoman Patty Berg introduced Gallegos at the event, calling him a dear friend, and said he has been effective and courageous in bringing his office into the 21st century."

This is called mutual agrandizement.

Patty Berg's greatest legislation accomplishment was assiisted suicide pacts for the elderly.

The only reason she can say Gallegos brought his office into the 21st century would have been if the date changed. I don't believe that was the case.

Here's a great spot for you to keep an eye on your DA:

http://watchpaul.blogspot.com/2007/12/day-610...

Skippy56
Once a DA supporter wrote: Skippy 56 wrote "I would be more interested in how the DA's office worked with local law enforcement regarding smaller crimes committed, for do no the small things often lead to bigger things?" The answer to that is the DA's Office does not work well with other law enforcement. Gallegos stated early on that he wanted to distance his office from the local law enforcement and he has.

The strength of the cases start with the law enforcement agencies. They are the originating investigators. They supply the DA Office with the facts and evidence so they can decide if there is enough evidence to support charges. If you have a DA Office that does not work well with the local law enforcement and work with the officers in the field, that co operation fails. Prior to Gallegos taking office local agencies received reports from the DA Office informing the agency when and if the case was filed. If it wasn't filed they were told why. Sometimes this information could be obtained by the officers investigating the crime and they could go out and obtain it to move the case forward. When Gallegos took office this practice ended. It was then left up to the officer to follow up with several phone calls to find out why cases weren't filed. Many cases were dismissed due to missing statements or information that would be easy to get. But instead the case was dismissed with no information leaving everyone but the criminal frustrated. Minor crimes are just that, minor crimes, unless you are the victim. At least give an explanation why you won't "waste the time" to prosecute so the victim understands why. It'll help them understand rather than feel unimportant and used.

You can work with local law enforcement and still maintain control over them if you are respectful of the public and not afraid to explain your decisions.

And as you pointed out, it is a problem that Gallegos needs to look at for changing his policies. I know from what I hear and see the law of cooperation between local law and the DA is poor. yes, It is hearsay, but it supports a lot of minor crimes being overlooked after the deputies did their job to arrest the person, or why did they waste the time and money?

I will vote for some one besides Gallegos just looking for change - especially change between law enforceent and the DA's office.

Watcher
Heard a rumor the only reason his investigator Cox is supporting him is by some miracle Hislop is elected Sheriff (Cox) is looking for the promotion to Chief Investigator.Cant think of any reason in Gods green earth a law enforcement officer with knowledge of Gallegos record could or would support him.

The Real Bubba Joe
reader wrote: It sure didn't take long for the comments to be shut down on the Arcata High School girls assistant basketball coach's arrest.

He certainly wasn't deterred by the Peterson case from Fortuna.

Yeah jimbo faulk has some specifics as to what he chooses to let go. If he likes it it stays if he doesn't it goes. It also has to do with the amount of pot he has to smoke at the time. The more pot the less he wants to censor. I guess it's laziness or something.

Ken Bareilles Jr
Seen too much wrote: I am a progressive. I would like to see marijuana legalized and taxed. I believe in universal health care.

And I think that the Gallegos DA's office is a shambles, a place with a horrible turnover rate, a lack of organization, an unwillingness to play hardball even when they hold all the cards. To me this isn't about politics, it's about the ability to prosecute criminals appropriately, and Gallegos has proved over the course of eight years that he's not very good at it. We deserve better.

Also consider how Paul Hagen lost his position as the three-county environmental prosecutor. In the 2006 election the Humboldt Dem party endorsed Gallegos without having open discussion on the topic. Hagen, active in the party, objected - not to the Gallegos endorsement, but to the lack of discussion. Shortly thereafter he was fired by Gallegos, and there is now a non-disclosure agreement on the matter, leading me to suspect that Hagen received some sort of compensation for being wrogngly let go. This is how Gallegos operates.

I'm leaning towards Alison Jackson at this point, but none of the candidates thrill me. Gallegos got my vote in 2002, and has betrayed that confidence.

Well said 'seen too much'. We the people are the owners of the county, Paul Gallegos is one of our hires. He has not done a good job.

My vote is currently against Gallegos but not for any of the other three. There is still time for another candidate to come forward that is not tied to the DAs office. All of the current candidates seem to have the vengeful thing going for them

The Real Bubba Joe
Ken Bareilles Jr wrote: Well said 'seen too much'. We the people are the owners of the county, Paul Gallegos is one of our hires. He has not done a good job.

My vote is currently against Gallegos but not for any of the other three. There is still time for another candidate to come forward that is not tied to the DAs office. All of the current candidates seem to have the vengeful thing going for them
You should vote for Paul and while you are at it get some kool-ade and cyanide for your kids. That is his prefered method for ridding ones-self of their children.

Stubbs
Paul's speeches are enjoyed best over an ice cold cup of Kool-Aid. Drink up Humboldt County! 8 years of DA service = Eternity + 4 more years.

Rooster
Everyone needs to tell their friends to vote so we get this guy out of office before he does more damage. We will live with his reign for years. Even judges and bailiffs comment about his lack of administration and mentoring of attorneys. Cases are getting flushed. He needs to go and its time for a change. The budget is getting tighter and his office is buying AR-15's for investigators. Give me a break.

Blubba
But Ken, you are a hagen supporter and always have been.

The Real Bubba Joe
Stubbs wrote: Paul's speeches are enjoyed best over an ice cold cup of Kool-Aid. Drink up Humboldt County! 8 years of DA service = Eternity + 4 more years.

And please all of you Paul supporters, don't forget to add the cyanide like Paul's buddy Tim Stoen did to his 6 year old son's when he killed him. Then your pot grows won't matter any more as you will be with your gods behind the next comet in their space ship and can't vote then. Praise Paul for pot!!!

Seriously, think about next week when pot is legal for real all over CA and then what? You're stuck with Paul Gallegos for another 4 years and there is no income in humboldt Co. except for real crime. I am gonna be laughing my a*s*s off.

JTC
tim stoen Tim Stoen tim stoen tim stoen tim stoen tim stoen tim stoen tim toen Tim Stoen tim stoen tim stoen tim stoen tim stoen tim stoen tim stoen tim stoen tim stoen tim stoen tim stoen...ENUF! let this man work out his own life, and lets debate the issue at hand: Who should be our next DA.....no more Nixonian fear !!!

The Real Bubba Joe
JTC wrote: tim stoen Tim Stoen tim stoen tim stoen tim stoen tim stoen tim stoen tim toen Tim Stoen tim stoen tim stoen tim stoen tim stoen tim stoen tim stoen tim stoen tim stoen tim stoen tim stoen...ENUF! let this man work out his own life, and lets debate the issue at hand: Who should be our next DA.....no more Nixonian fear !!!

So how much do you grow? When it is legalized you will starve.(Thankfully)

You are morally bankrupt too. It's one thing to get a b*l*o*w j*o*b as president and "discuss the issues" It is entirely different to kill your own son and then "discuss the issues". Just go back to trimming your weed and killing your children.

Since you have already sold out because of your pot, you have nothing left to say. Clearly pot is the only reason you vote for your soul-less DA so just realize you are money motivated and there is no reason to say another word. Just cut and paste "I am voting for paul gallegos because I live for pot and the money I make from it and I have no soul" then you won't have to bother thinking about that dead 6 year old John Stoen who Paul couldn't care less about llike you.

Me, on the other hand, well I am not about to let anyone forget Tim's son 6 year old John, who Tim might as well have given the cyanide laced flav-r-ade himself. If this was your kid, you would care a little less about your pot. Your DA has already sided with the murderer.

You have nothing to say.

Sell out

No soul

dumbmistake
hindsight is 20/20. knowing then what i know now, and all professionalism aside, MR. GALLEGOS, I SHOULD HAVE let you drowned in the ocean with your male "friend" you were surfing with. Only you, God, your male "friend" and I would have known. But I am not your MAKER. I have never in my entire life as a professional rescuer (25 years worth) regretted any decisions I have made when it comes to saving a life, until now. Having watched you tie the hands of our law enforcement officers hands behind their back and allowed the medical marijuana advocates to rule the roost, I admit, alas, I made a mistake. My children being approached at school about drugs, my old neighbors house full of "medicinal marijuana" and our society going to sh#t...... Not all of it is my fault, nor is it all yours, but we have both showed a culpable hand in it's taking ahold. So, if the chance ever were to come up again PAUL, I would sadly say, that I would give up my morals, as much as you have, to do the thing that I have always stood against.......

I really hope the people of Humboldt County have grown to understand your policies and vote your sorry lying **** out of office.

Next time, my hand wont be reaching out to save you...... by the way, you never even said thanks for saving your life assho@#le !!