Pages

7.21.2007

Lisa LaDeRoute to Gallegos & the DA's Office

Lisa LaDeRoute-Lawler's attempts to get justice in the murder of her sister are chronicled on a court-TV message board. The story of John Annibel and all of the missing/murdered girls is now a book: Deadfall: Books: author: Robert Scott
The following is taken from the message board:

freenuma@people
Draft LetterDraft Letter
March 27, 2006

To: Paul Gallegos - District Attorney
Worth Dikeman -Prosecutor Drug Enforcement
Max Cardoza - Prosecutor
Mike Losey- Investigator
County of Humboldt

Dear Gentlemen:

The fact that no one in the District Attorney's office has responded to my last letter dated November 2004. And the fact that Andrea LaDeRoute's remains are still in the coroner's custody, is clear to me that these situations are not just an oversight of the District Attorney's office.

I am confident that all of you men are highly knowledgeable, and experienced in what you do, as prosecutors.

At least two young women were murdered in this community, evidence supports that there is only one suspect, however to date, more than 20 years since the murders occurred and 4 years since Andrea's remains were recovered, there has been no movement in prosecuting this individual.

With that being acknowledged, it is time for you and your department to step up to the plate and address my concerns. You owe it not only to me, but to the community in which you were appointed to serve and protect.

I am attaching another copy of the letter I mailed to Worth Dikeman, November 2004, and also hand delivered it into the District Attorney's office, as well as faxed a copy of it to (provide fax number here)

Although, the suspect, John Annibel was arrested and extradited in Colorado and brought back to Humboldt County, where he was charged and arraigned for PC 187, at the preliminary hearing two weeks later, the court ruled "People unable to proceed, charges dismissed pursuant to PC 859(b).

At the time the news media reported that the District Attorney was not able to proceed without a body.

Later that same week, the same District Attorney stated that charges would be refiled, but not immediately.

Then in August 2002, when Andrea's partial remains were recovered, the Fortuna Police Dept. officially closed her case and submitted it to the District Attorney's office.

I have spoken to Mike Losey, Worth Dikeman, Max Cardoza, and Paul Gallegos, in regards to the status of her case. And each time, I am told that the case is still on going, and that the District's office is still considering "Whether on not to file charges."

In April of 2004, I specifically called Paul's cell phone in an attempt to have him tell me if it was likely or not likely that charges would be filed, so that I could make funeral arrangements. The reason for this is that Paul had personally told me during a phone conversation, that he would need Andrea's remains as physical evidence, most everything else was circumstantial evidence.

And that a good defense attorney for Annibel, would want to review her remains for their defense.

Paul specifically told me, in April of 2004, again that he could not release my sister's remains, as they may be needed, in the event the case went to trial.

We are now in March 2006, and there has been no response to my letter in November of 2004, and my messages left to Worth Dikeman have not been returned.

I also am aware after talking to Max Cardoza, last summer (2005 when I stopped him on the side walk in front of the court house) that Max has been assigned my sister's case. During our conversation, Max admitted he hadn't had a chance to review the case. He also said that it was a very cold case.

However, the California penal codes are pretty clear that all homicide cases take precedence over all other cases.

So I am again asking that your department review and respond to the attached letter.

Even after all these years, my sister's case is just as important to me as it was in March of 1980. I'm sure if you were in my position, and this situation had happened to your sister, or your mother, or your spouse, you would not accept this lack of response.

As I've mentioned before, I am not concerned with past District Attorney's or their decisions, at this point I just want my sister's remains back, and to receive information on the status of her case.

This is what the people of Humboldt County hired you to do. Are you up to the challenge?

Lisa LaDeRoute-Lawler

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

police corruption; cold cases=ot=$$$$ the law enforcement of humboldt county should be audited by the IRS and other federal agency's for inflated overtime and non productive work. place these frauds in prison, bankruptcy or the unemployment line.

Anonymous said...

I hope Andrea gets justice if she hasn't already. RIP.

Anonymous said...

Andrea is my aunt. Im her sister donnas daughter. Im 21 and i never had a chance to meet her but to me knowing that she is some where out there un found just laying somewhere hurts me its not ok at all. I really hope she is found and not just parts all of her. although i never had a chance to meet her i love her and wish her justice