Pages

11.27.2006

ER - Stoen applies for counsel post with Mendocino County

Stoen applies for counsel post with Mendocino County
by Christine Bensen, The Eureka Reporter
5/13/2005

Tim Stoen, the prosecutor in charge of special cases for the Humboldt County District Attorney’s Office, said he submitted an application to become Mendocino’s county counsel, but he is not concerned about whether he is chosen.

“I’ve been solicited to apply and that’s about it,” he said.

In early March, Stoen said Mendocino County District Attorney Norm Vroman asked him if he would be interested in applying for the position.

“I said, ‘OK, I’ll put in an application’ and I told Paul and got his blessing,” Stoen said.

From 1970 through 1976, Stoen said he served as the assistant district attorney in charge of the civil division for Mendocino County, which was equivalent to county counsel at the time.

While serving in that role, he said he helped draft legislation and gave advice to department heads and county supervisors.

“(During) the six years in that job my advice was never successfully challenged,” he said.

If chosen, Stoen said he would want to give a one-year, rather than a four-year, commitment and would still fulfill his commitment to prosecute the case against The Pacific Lumber Co. for the Humboldt County District Attorney’s Office.

“I told Paul, I said, ‘Under no circumstances would I not fulfill my commitment to that case,’” he said.

As a Christian, Stoen said he has faith that whatever is meant to happen will.

“It’s a job I’ve had, it’s a job I enjoyed and it’s a job I was told I did well at,” he said. “If I’m supposed to get the job I’ll get the job. I’m not going to lift a finger to get it besides put in my application.”

“We have known about it for some time,” Gallegos said. “Naturally, he has my full support in whatever decision he makes. We have work for him here and are operating on the assumption that he will remain here.”

No comments: