Pages

5.31.2010

Eye - Political ‘Harassment’ Claim Refuted

Don't miss the comments:

Political ‘Harassment’ Claim Refuted
– May 29, 2010
Saturday, May 29, 2010
Daniel Mintz
Eye Correspondent

HUMBOLDT – A DA candidate’s belief that Eureka humanitarian Betty Chinn was the target of politically-related “harassment” has been refuted by Chinn.

Chinn had been listed as one of DA candidate Allison Jackson’s endorsers on her campaign website but Chinn’s name was recently removed from the list. Asked why, Jackson e-mailed a statement explaining that Chinn’s “public support was impacting her personally” and so her name was removed.

“I am deeply troubled that she has had to endure any type of harassment due to her support of me in this election,” said Jackson.

But Chinn said that she asked that her name be removed because she didn’t intend to be an endorser. “I stay out of politics,” she said. “It’s not my area, my area is helping the poor.”

Chinn also wants to clarify that she hasn’t had to deal with any harassment. “This is a loving community and to come out and say that I’ve been harassed is not true,” she said. “I came here from communist China, I’ve never felt that I’ve been mistreated by anyone here.”

The first and only time Chinn met Jackson was at an event last February, Chinn continued. “I never said I support her, I did say that I admire her and what she’s doing,” she said, adding that the feedback she got after being listed on Jackson’s website was benign.

“Some people did tell me, ‘Betty, I know you never get involved in politics,’” Chinn said.

How did the supposed endorsement emerge and what constituted the perception of harassment? Jackson said that Chinn was with Rex Bohn, one of her friends, when they met last February. “I asked Rex to contact her to ask if I could use her name and was told that she supports me,” Jackson continued.

She said that in mid-May, Chinn left a phone message indicating she wanted her name removed. When Jackson asked Bohn about it, “All I was told was that she’d received numerous contacts who told her it could jeopardize her work,” Jackson said.

She said she wrote Chinn a letter thanking her and explaining that “I felt ill that anything from this could affect her work because I care about her so deeply,” Jackson continued.

Attributing the situation to miscommunication, Jackson emphasized that she truly believed Chinn had endorsed her and that after hearing she’d gotten numerous phone calls about it, she was concerned for her.

“I am deeply saddened by all of this and the way it’s been spun,” said Jackson.

Tags: election, Jackson

This entry was posted on Saturday, May 29th, 2010 at 2:34 pm and is filed under Election 2010, News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

8 Responses to “Political ‘Harassment’ Claim Refuted – May 29, 2010”

Richard
May 29, 2010 at 5:12 pm
The only “spin” here has been by Ms. Jackson herself.

#2999
Richard
May 30, 2010 at 9:54 am
Here is the original story copied from the printed page of the Arcata Eye:

CHINN CHASED AWAY FROM JACKSON CAMP

(photo of Betty here, with the word: HARRASSED printed below her name)

The removal of the name of one of DA candidate Allison Jackson’s endorsers from her website has sparked speculation and Jackson has said it was done to spare the endorser from politically-related “harassment.”

Political observers have noticed that Betty Chinn’s name has been removed from Jackson’s endorsement list. Chinn’s efforts on Eureka-based free food programs and a new shower facility have gained widespread attention and she’s one of Jackson’s more well-known supporters.

But when her name was removed, it seemed as if her support was withdrawn. Contacted about it, Jackson said the removal of Chinn’s name was done to shield her from reactions to the endorsement.
“While I am honored to have Betty’s support, when I became aware that her public support was impacting her personally and may have impact on her work for those who need our compassion in this community, I removed her name as a formal supporter so as not to have it impact either her or her work,” said Jackson.

She added, “I am deeply troubled that she has had to endure any type of harassment due to her support of me in this election. I have thanked her privately and will continue to thank her for her private support.”

Attempts to contact Chinn were unsuccessful.

#3030
kevpod
May 30, 2010 at 10:14 am
Mr. Nice, er, Richard, why did you edit the byline and dateline out of the story? And why don’t you post some of our lovely correspondence from the last few days? I mean, if you want to provide a complete picture.

#3031
Terrence McNally
May 30, 2010 at 10:30 am
At least he put his name on a post this time…

#3033
kevpod
May 30, 2010 at 10:32 am
In Richard’s defense, he signs his writing. Don’t you remember R. Trent Williams?

#3034
Terrence McNally
May 30, 2010 at 10:45 am
That was classic. Turd blossom politics at its finest.
You think Williams typeset that print story for him?

#3036
kevpod
May 30, 2010 at 10:52 am
Either R. Trent or another in his stable of handy-dandy sock puppets. Maybe the argyle one with the button nose.

#3038
Terrence McNally
May 30, 2010 at 10:57 am
Probably the idealistic rainbow-colored sock that wants to work for change… until becoming desperately cynical watching Richard make the sausage.