Pages

4.03.2007

Shunka Wakan emails Paul Gallegos

This article is posted here as supplemental background material. For discussion and more information visit watchpaul.blogspot.com.
***
--- Shunka Wakan wrote:

To: northcoastearthfirst at yahoogroups.com
From: Shunka Wakan
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 11:01:57 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [NCEF!] Recent dialogue with Paul Gallegos

Hello, friends!
I thought you might be interested in the latest responses from Paul Gallegos, regarding the David "Gypsy" Chain case. The last I heard from Paul, he was promising to forward the Gypsy case file to Tim Stoen (who left his office shortly thereafter) and Steve Schectman (the lawyer in the David "Gypsy" Chain civil suit and recently deputized as an investigator for the D.A.'s office).

Promises, promises...

This e-mail reads from most recent to the beginning of the most recent dialogue, sparked by the attorney general's response to Tom Krohmer's appeal to the A.G.'s office to re-open the Gypsy case. Paul Gallegos likes to refer me to the A.G.'s office, who then refers us back to the local D.A. - a political ping-pong game, intended to keep the public running around in circles, with no results, as usual.

These men are civil servants, so they need to hear YOUR voices, to let them know that there are a LOT of people out there who demand justice (or at least a shot at it, in the form of a jury trial) from their elected "officials."

Ok, here it is...remember, this starts with my response to Paul Gallegos, written just this morning. I'm responding to the e-mail that I received from Paul Gallegos just this morning, as well. Does this not enrage you? It should!

This is not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of fact. If I had any doubts about this case, I would not be so adamant about it. The facts are clear, and we have them on videotape. You promised to forward this case to Tim Stoen and Steve Schectman, and I have still heard nothing from any of you regarding this case

How is Gypsy's death an "accident"? We have hard evidence that Gypsy's death was the result of an intentional act of violence against activists.

Your refusal to re-open this investigation, after promising to do so in your election campaign, sets a terrible precedent for corporate violence against non-violent activists.

We have the right to non-violently protest in this country, without being assaulted, battered, and/or
killed.

What kind of justification do you hold in your mind for Gypsy's death? How can this not be a clear case of aggravated assault and some degree of homicide?

And how can you justify pressing felony assault charges against Ramsey Gifford, when he was clearly the one assaulted by Eric Schatz and Co.? Niether Eric Schatz nor Michael Oxman are police officers, so they have no right to lay a hand on any member of the public. You are playing into the status quo that assumes that it's "ok" for Maxxam/Pacific Lumber to hire their own private contractors to physically apprehend members of the public. This is not a legitimate citizen's arrest, and it enables Maxxam/Pacific Lumber to break numerous laws, including yet not limited to the federal Endangered Species Act, Clean Water Act, laws against assault, battery, and kidnapping.

The Gypsy case deserves it's day in court...there is no statute of limitations on murder, and, as an eyewitness and member of the public, I know, for a fact, that Gypsy's death was no mere "accident." Eric Schatz and Michael Oxman need to be charged for their violent crimes, as well, yet you refuse to do anything in either respect.

Do your job as a public servant, please.

Sincerely,
Shunka Wakan
>
> --- "Gallegos, Paul"
> wrote:
>
> > Shunka:
> >
> > I have spoken to you about this case repeatedly
> and
> > I accept that for you there is only one truth and
> > that is what You believe it to be. People must
> > accept your belief about truth or they are liars,
> > corrupt, stupid or some combination thereof.
> >
> > I have nothing to gain from not prosecuting anyone
> > or everyone for the death of David Chain. Clearly,
> I
> > do not expect to ever get the support of Pacific
> > Lumber Company or those aligned with them. Nor do
> I
> > anticipate that they will not fund, directly or
> > indirectly, a campaign against me. These are
> simple
> > truths.
> >
> > So, I regret your continued suffering and I hope
> > that time brings you peace.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > Paul V. Gallegos
> >
> > p.s.
> >
> > The media contacted me in response to your
> attempts
> > to get media coverage. The timing had nothing to
> do
> > with me. I have a lot of work to do here. I don't
> > have time to think like that.
> >
> > sincerely again,
> >
> > Paul Gallegos
> >
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Shunka Wakan [mailto:shunka_2004 at yahoo.com]
> > Sent: Monday, October 10, 2005 10:37 PM
> > To: Gallegos, Paul
> > Subject: What law and what facts?
> >
> >
> > Paul Gallegos,
> >
> > In regards to your response to Tom Krohmer's
> > e-mail...
> > First, I'd like you to affirm that you wrote the
> > following response:
> >
> > "Gallegos, Paul"
> > wrote:
> >
> > Thank you for cc'ing me your email regarding David
> > Chain's death. No charges were filed in that case
> > because of the law and the facts. I do not feel
> > under
> > attack. Nor would I fail to file a complaint
> against
> > Pacific Lumber Company, or others if there was
> > evidence and/or law which warranted it.
> > Too often people wish me to use the powers of this
> > office to persecute instead of prosecute. I ran
> for
> > office with a commitment to the principle that
> > government has an obligation to balance the joint
> > interests of public safety and individual rights.
> I
> > remain committed to that goal. To file charges
> > against
> > someone(s) merely because people wanted me to,
> would
> > violate that obligation. I will not do that.
> > I hope this assists you.
> > Sincerely,
> > Paul V. Gallegos
> >
> > If you did write this, I'd like to ask you a few
> > questions about it.
> > What "law and facts" were you referring to?
> > When someone threatens to kill you, that's
> assault.
> > When someone kills you after making such threats,
> > that's homicide.
> > We have the facts and the law on our side.
> > I witnessed the threats and the homicide that
> > followed.
> > What more do you need?
> > A.E. Ammons said, "get the fuck outta here, or
> I'll
> > MAKE SURE I GOTTA TREE COMING THIS WAY!"
> > That clearly shows murderous intentions.
> > Then I saw Gypsy's body, after A.E. dropped a tree
> > AT
> > US, INTENTIONALLY.
> > How is this not a crime?
> > You promised to forward the case to Tim Stoen, who
> > has
> > ignored my phone calls and e-mails.
> > You promised to forward the case to Steve
> > Schectman...when I asked him about it, in person,
> he
> > said that you hadn't even spoken with him about
> it.
> > Is it time for another round of letters to the
> > editor
> > and internet postings?
> > I'm really sick of empty promises from
> politicians.
> > I'm really sick of politicians throwing people
> bones
> > to shut them up for the time being.
> > I'm really sick of public servants acting like
> > politicians.
> > Do your job and give this case a fair trial.
> > It's not your job to play judge and jury...this
> case
> > deserves it's day in court, and Maxxam has it
> > coming.
> > How long will the Humboldt Co. record reflect lies
> > about homicide?
> > How long will it take for you to live up to your
> > campaign promise to re-open this investigation?
> > It's clear to many people in this community that
> > David
> > "Gypsy" Chain's death was no mere "accident"?
> > How long until you listen to the voices of
> Humboldt
> > County?
> > I noticed the big article in the Journal, awhile
> > back,
> > talking about how you had just about finished
> going
> > over the old homicide cases in Humboldt
> > County...that
> > was right around the time that I was writing
> letters
> > to the editor, alerting the community that you
> were
> > refusing to make good on your campaign promise to
> > re-open the Gypsy case.
> > Interesting timing...
> > When will we see Justice for Gypsy?
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > Shunka Wakan
> >

No comments: