Pages

2.12.2007

TS - Words of wisdom -- but not my own

The only one in the world who doesn't see anything wrong with Gallegos lifting 17 passages from one author's works, and swiping quotes from JFK for his own "My Word"s published in this very paper, the Times Standard of Eureka, California. Oh, you meant it as a j-o-k-e....


Words of wisdom -- but not my own
Bully Pulpit by James Faulk
Article Launched: 09/12/2006 04:31:48 AM PDT

In light of recent revelations that the county's beloved surfing DA has apparently been skimming the Internet waters looking for words of someone else's wisdom, I have decided to from now on always quote my sources.

It's just the right thing to do (Pythagoras). For one, I'll certainly feel better about myself (Plato), and gosh darn it, my thoughts aren't that bad (Hulk Hogan).

While four score and seven years ago (Lincoln) I wasn't even a twinkle in Great Great Great Granddad's eye (my mother), I do live and let die (Ian Fleming) so let's get together and feel all right (Bob Marley).

I'm hard pressed to figure out how this kind of thing happens (John Driscoll, referring to the recent unexpected killing of a cormorant) but obviously Gallegos -- a man trained to make arguments before one of our most important institutions, the judicial system -- wanted to seem like a Kennedy, as well as some other guy.

But frankly, Paul Gallegos, I knew Robert Kennedy ... and you are no Marilyn Monroe (Lloyd Bentsen, sort of).

It's that time again

The masses are lining up to seek seats on the Arcata City Council, including incumbents and a few familiar faces. It's always entertaining to watch thegrab-bag personalities wrestle for the reins of power in that fair city. Let's not forget this is the town that has given us candidates Nick Bravo and Dex Anderson, who wanted to build a city-owned Tesla Coil, as well as long-time Mayor Bob Ornelas, he of the outspoken tongue.

This year's election season again promises to have some surprises, and again a crowded field of incumbents and challengers. As one election observer recently put it, at least we have Alex Stillman running on the “Adult Supervision” ticket.

No comments: